January 15, 2021
by Justin Dulogin
On Sunday, December 20, 2020, police officer Jonel Nuezca shot and killed innocent mother, Sonya Gregorio and Frank Gregorio due to an argument in Tarlac province, north of Metro Manila.
The whole incident was video recorded and what started was, Nuezca daughter complained about their neighbors’ “Boga” firecrackers. Nuezca had gone to the Gregorius to investigate who was shooting Boga. There was a verbal argument. Along the noise, Sonya held Frank back in an attempt to calm him down and to stop the issue from escalating. The child’s father aka the policeman, pulled out his gun and aimed it at Frank’s head, saying “gusto mong tapusin kita ngayon?” which in translation meant, “do you want me to finish you off right now?” or basically, he threatened to kill them. In the video, the cop shot the two because of enraged which the old woman talked back to his daughter. He said, in English, “Fuck you. Do you want me to kill you now?” and then, the daughter was hitting the old woman. He shot the old woman two times. The woman and her son were not bearing any weapon nor acting violently towards the cop.
Nuezca surrendered himself the day after. Two counts of murder were filed against him in Paniqui, Tarlac. The Central Luzon police say PSMS Jonel Nuezca, the cop who shot dead a mother and son in Tarlac, had faced criminal and administrative cases in the previous years. Nuezca had (homicide) cases in May and December 2019. Both, however, were dismissed due to a lack of evidence.
Last January 7, 2021, Nuezca pleaded not guilty in his arraignment. According to PNP data, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque disclosed that from July 2016 to December 2020, there were a total of 16,839 police officers who were penalized for different human rights offenses.
Given the Nuezca video of the propensity for violating the law, PNP Chief Sinas himself went undermine the value of recorded proof, giving warning to people regarding videotaping incidents in the future, saying it was “very tricky” and could put their lives in danger. Foreign Secretary Teddyboy Locsin rebutted Sinas’ warning on Twitter.
“It is the duty of every citizen to take photos and videos – a dimension of crime-fighting we can finally trust because it is we, the people, fighting crime by exposing it. Recording crime especially by crime fighters is the best reason to have a cellphone,” Locsin tweeted.
Netizens stated on various platforms that if there is no video, the Tarlac shooting would have ended up rewinding near to the official “nanlaban” (fought back) narrative that police routinely use to the public to explain away the extrajudicial killings. “Without the video, would Mr. Nuezca have given up his flight and surrendered?”, asked the netizens.
Police abuses prior to killings of Sonia Gregorio and son:
- Officers tagged in beheading of man from Baguio; Cordillera police dissolve anti-drug unit Dec 18, 2020
- Number of PNP officers who tested positive for illegal drugs increased by 42.85% in 2020 Dec 17, 2020
- Cebu City cops ‘fake arrest’ fastfood chain workers in what they call a ‘Christmas prank’ Dec 16, 2020
- 7 Zambales ‘ninja cops’ sacked Dec 12, 2020
- Red-tagged doctor, husband slain in Negros Dec 2, 2020
- Daughter of slain peace consultant arrested with newborn son in Cagayan Dec 2, 2020
- AFP draws flak over ‘war trophy’ photo of solon’s slain daughter Dec 1, 2020
- Kin of slain NDF consultants hit ‘tokhang-style’ murder of ‘elderly, sickly’ couple Dec 1, 2020
- P130k shabu seized in Army compound Nov 29, 2020
- Cavite State University under fire after military official red-tags activists at NSTP webinar Oct 24, 2020
- AFP Lt. Gen. Parlade redtags Liza Soberano, Catriona Gray, Angel Locsin—threats to ‘suffer the same fate’ as killed activists Oct 22, 2020
- Baby River Nasino laid to rest, but road to burial filled with tension Oct 16, 2020
- Kawit police chief, 5 other cops sacked over alleged illegal arrest Sep 29, 2020
- PNP chief says Sinas deserves promotion despite mañanita gaffe Sep 16, 2020
- Police ‘kidnap’ passersby then kill them in fake ‘nanlaban’ case – NBI Aug 13, 2020
- Police ‘forcibly takes’ Randy Echanis’ body from funeral home Aug 11, 2020
- Arrests and Harrasment vs. SONA 2020 Protesters Jul 27, 2020
- NCRPO Chief Sinas says police in “plain clothes” will arrest anyone with protest placards Jul 27, 2020
- Police confiscate protesters’ placards during mass in Quiapo Church Jul 27, 2020
- PNP confiscates progressive magazine after Anti-Terror Law takes effect Jul 26, 2020
- Zamboanga City cop sacked for ‘George Floyd’ tactic vs offender Jul 26, 2020
- NCRPO Chief Debold Sinas and armed policemen allegedly trespass and harass family inside their residence Jul 18, 2020
- Rights group leader served arrest warrant by cop disguised as delivery man Jul 7, 2020
- 15-year-old girl Fabel Pineda killed on her way home after filing a rape case against cops Jul 4, 2020
- 11 activists protesting enactment of Anti-Terrorism Law arrested in Cabuyao Jul 4, 2020
- CHR reveals Philippine govt ordered cops not to cooperate with EJK investigation Jul 2, 2020
- Cops kill 4 military agents; Army chief cries rubout Jul 1, 2020
- Manila Police Arrest 20 Pride Protesters Seeking Virus Aid – The New York Times Jun 30, 2020
- Police attempted to arrest intern of Manila Today, an on line independent media Jun 26, 2020
- Police raid village in Balingasag, Misamis Oriental, arrest 7 lumad men Jun 26, 2020
- 16 students nabbed in Iligan City for gathering to call out terror bill Jun 12, 2020
- Cops wearing civilian attire violently arrest UP Cebu protesters Jun 7, 2020
- Cops arrest 8 at anti-terrorism bill protest in Cebu City Jun 5, 2020
- NBI: Cops murdered Winston Ragos, planted evidence Jun 4, 2020
- UN report details widespread human rights violations and persistent impunity in the Philippines Jun 4, 2020
With all that is happening in the Philippines, in line with injustices and scams, please open your mind and your eyes to the truth.
Source: List of PNP & AFP’s Abuses, Brutality, Impunity and Human Rights Violations, Hacktibista. (n.d.). Hacktibista. Retrieved February 1, 2021, from https://hacktibista.ph/abuses/